Mandate & Strategic Objectives
To undertake and/or facilitate Research, Development and Dissemination of information on low cost building/construction materials and technologies for socio-economic development in Kenya.
To attain its mandate, the Centre: –
- Undertakes research on cost effective building materials as well as new building materials and technologies.
- Collect, document and classify all available information on building materials and elements.
- Initiate and coordinate research and standardization in the building industry in the country
- Operate the technical library complete with an online resource section through a technical e-library to be established.
- To carry out research that aim to inform and enhance quality, cost effective, efficient and sustainable building materials, processes and technologies.
- To formulate building research policy in order to provide new knowledge and innovations in building industry.
- To create collaborations and partnerships with persons and institutions that undertakes building research in order to foster new knowledge and affordable housing innovations.
- To establish countrywide field stations for coordination of research, collection and dissemination of valid and reliable information on building materials processes and technologies.
- To coordinate and promote green building principals in the building and construction industry.
- To establish information management and dissemination systems necessary to benefit general public in the construction of affordable housing.
- To provide adequate resources for development of building material research in the country.
- To develop Kenya Building Research Institute.
The centre facilitates provision of information, documentation, and referencing, cataloguing, indexing, collection of data and dissemination of all information pertaining to building services and construction materials and technologies.
The core mandate of the center is to carry out applied and basic building research with the aim of achieving quality, cost effectiveness, efficiency, socio-cultural acceptance and sustainability of building materials and technologies in Kenya.
The center implements strategies for building, construction and infrastructural development including resource mobilization for self- sustainability.
- Maintenance of a modern technical library of relevant books, reports and periodicals through establishment and maintenance of e-library resource center.
- Establish a research database center within its e- resource center for use by the stakeholders in the building construction sector.
- Acquisition, cataloguing and dissemination of information on all matters pertaining to building construction industry.
- Coordination of technical library activities within cooperating institutions.
- Compilation of reports and printing of materials on the activities of the building industry.